Sunday, February 17, 2013

Not Every Color has a St. Valentine Specialty


Honest Confession No. 1:

I detest, loathe, and preferably-every-unpleasant-feeling-there-is St. Valentine's Day. 

No, no, this is not because I've never had a 'valentine' before, nor because I never plan on having one ever on this despicable date. (I profusely apologize to all those who were born on this day, and mourn your damned fate. I seriously do.)

Nah, it's also not because of the fact that "love" is a commodity that should be celebrated all year round instead of one, hot-pink stuffed day with streamers and red balloons blinding you. Though it's a very nice, very arguable point.

I don't like St. Valentine's Day because of some very different, very other reasons...

For one, this guy, St. Valentine, was an imprisoned saint/priest, who fell in love with a princess during his last few days of life...? Despite the Shakespearan aura of Romanticism in the "original" story, it is only a story about a priest who broke his Holy Vows and yielded to the bonds of mortal, human emotions. In the end, even God - the guy who's responsible for your entire existence - is pushed to a seond option when Man puts his own desire forward. 

Why commit yourself to something when all you did was to not honor it? Why did everyone start celebrating this day as the Festival of Love?


Honest Confession No. 2:

I sincerely state that I am a girl, therefore, I am every girl, and, hence, I believe in the trap of 'True Love' and the tosh about soul mates.

Being in love with somebody? Wonderful feeling, that. Especially, when the other-body knows about it and is cool with it, maybe even throws in a cheeky grin towards you every now and then. Feels like heaven, even if neither of you own a scrap of Raymond Suitings. 

Being in love with love!? Bloody hell! That's intoxicating - hyperventilate-able - uncontrollable! Makes you love everything in this world - even the horrible people and all their distorted mental allusions. Feels like you're in a constantly bubbling liquid in a heated cauldron, with the fumes of feelings stirring you around the vessel as though you are but another sprig of flavoured mint. 

Either way, love makes a person giddy and steady at the same time. A peculiar feeling, but it's there in everybody - when you see Mom, Dad, Bro or Sis; when you see your best friend and run to hug her or him, despite the fact that you had barely parted a few hours ago and was on the phone till the earlier moment; when you see your exam sheet returned to you, and told that you got the highest mark; when your boss begins to be this overprotective-brotherly person who tells you that you can have all the time and all the freedom in the world to finish the job you love doing.

It's nice. And I'm a girl, who, in stereotypical terms, is condemned to be a sentimental fool. I do not know if there is a differnece between 'sentimental' and 'fool', but I must be one, to be vulnerable enough to burst into tears because there are homeless people still existing in this world, where it gets cold and they freeze.



Honest Confession No. 3:

I love wearing clothes that are of, at least, a hundred colors.

I own more clothes than a lot of people. I have probably dresses of all colors. By all, I mean all

And it's my wish to wear what color I like! 

"Yellow pota enna de? Yellow??" asked a pillion rider to her friend in the front on a red-and-black dio to my right - at the Nandanam Signal, on my way to my diploma class. I never heard the reply, but hey, the giggling wanted me to turn around and ask them what dirty pink (what the girl was wearing) stood for. Definitely not a very nice one, if one at all!

I'm sure St. Valentine never wore anything that wasn't white, grey, black or dirty (from the jail dirt). Where did this stupid color code come up? From colored flowers?? 

WTH?

So, back in the days when people wore only the colors of their house banners (after Valentine's untimely and extremely popular demise), were they judged thus? 'Tudor green, thou art fast to one's hand'? 'Lannister yellow, is your heart mellow?'!?!

Alas, sleep has overtaken me! St. Valentine had his day, and I will have mine within a week - and one dayin the distant Apocalyptic future , even my birthday will be celebrated as some stupid festival - who knows? :P :/

~ Maitri Harys

No comments: